What new data has emerged from the Land Inequality research initiative? How can land inequality be measured? What are the challenges of measuring hidden forms of land inequality and horizontal inequality?
Based on the research findings of the Land Inequality Initiative, this webinar presented new data on land inequality, discussed its multidimensional nature and the challenges of measuring it, and introduced new measuring methodologies beyond the traditionally used Gini index.
It also emphasised how land inequality is often hidden. Less visible forms of control do not necessarily require ownership, as in the case of contract farming or corporate concentration of land use and control in the agri-food sector.
It also discussed the challenges of assessing horizontal inequality, with a particular focus on collective rights. Collective rights can help address land inequality by guaranteeing access and use of land in line with the needs of communities and peoples. However, land inequality often persists within collective and customary tenure systems and free, prior and informed consent is not always respected, particularly in relation to large-scale development or extractive projects.
WATCH THE WEBINAR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The main research findings of the Land Inequality project and the challenges of measuring land inequality in all its dimension.
- The limitations of using agricultural censuses to measure land inequality, and possible alternatives.
- What multidimensional land inequality is and the implications for the measurement of land inequality.
- What hidden forms of land inequality are and how to uncover them.
- What horizontal land inequalities are, how collective land rights present a solution, and how these are measured.
MEET THE PANEL
Moderator: Stephanie Burgos, Oxfam International
- Ward Anseeuw, ILC and CIRAD
- Luis Bauluz, World Inequality Lab (WIL)
- Delfino Vargas, University Program for Development Studies at National Autonomous University (UNAM) associate center of CLACSO
- Marc Wegerif, University of Pretoria
- Ruth Bautista, Instituto para el Desarrollo Rural de Sudamérica (IPDRS)
GLOBAL LAND INEQUALITY
Download the data paper "Global Land Inequality" by Luis Bauluz, Yajna Govind and Filip Novokmet.
UNEARTHING LESS VISIBLE TRENDS IN LAND INEQUALITY
Download the conceptual paper "Unearthing less visible trends in land inequality" by Marc Wegerif and Ward Anseeuw.
LA GOBERNANZA COLECTIVA DE LA TIERRA
Download the conceptual paper “La gobernanza colectiva de la tierra: su contribución a la reducción de las desigualdades” by Ruth Bautista Durán and Oscar Bazoberry Chali.
GLOBAL LAND INEQUALITY
Luis Bauluz (WIL) presentation
METHODOLOGICAL CONSIDERATIONS ON LAND INEQUALITY
Delfino Vargas (CLACSO) presentation
GOBERNANZA DE LA TIERRA COLECTIVA Y SU CONTRIBUCIÓN A LA REDUCCIÓN DE LAS DESIGUALDADES
Ruth Bautista Durán (IPDRS) presentation
land inequality webinar series
HOW LAND INEQUALITY MANIFESTS AND WHY IT IS ESSENTIAL TO ADDRESS IT
1 Diciembre 2020Lea Más