How does land inequality connect with other forms of inequality and global crises?
Land inequality manifests in numerous ways, whether social, economic, political, environmental, or territorial. Most of these manifestations are inter-related and influence one another, resulting in the major global crises and trends that we see today. This webinar highlights the centrality of land inequality with respect to other forms of inequality, particularly economic inequality (as highlighted by the case of financial funds in Brazil and of bimodal agriculture in Colombia), gender inequality, and skewed labour relations (as shown by the case of Peru).
WATCH THE WEBINAR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How land inequality connects with economic and political inequalities, the climate and environmental crisis, global health insecurity and related social issues.
- The main actors involved in the process of “financialisation” of land in Brazil, their investment strategies, and the environmental and social consequences of their activities.
- The consequences of large-scale agriculture in Colombia, and their impact on gender and intergenerational equality.
- The connection of land inequality with labour migration, labour relations, gender dynamics and poverty in Peru.
- How land inequality and gender inequality intersect, and what can be done to narrow the gender gap around land rights.
MEET THE PANEL
Moderator: Ward Anseeuw, Senior Technical Specialist, ILC/CIRAD
- Giulia Baldinelli, Knowledge Management and Research, ILC
- Karina Kato, Professor at Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro and researcher at GEMAP (Study Group on Social Change, Agribusiness and Public Policy).
- Olga Elena Jaramillo, Sociologist, researcher at OTEC (Observatorio de Territorios Étnicos y Campesinos), Universidad Javeriana, Colombia
- Natalia Espinosa, Historian, Land Matrix Global Observatory and researcher at OTEC (Observatorio de Territorios Étnicos y Campesinos), Universidad Javeriana, Colombia.
- Elisa Scalise, Managing Director and Gender and Land Tenure Lawyer, Resource Equity
- Ana Lucía Araujo, Researcher, PUCP/CEPES (Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú/Centro Peruano de Estudios Sociales), Peru.
READ THE REPORT "UNEVEN GROUND: LAND INEQUALITY AT THE HEART OF UNEQUAL SOCIETIES"
THE GENDER GAP: ASSESSING AND MEASURING GENDER RELATED LAND INEQUALITY
Download the conceptual paper by Elisa Scalise, Resource Equity.
Global financial funds, land grabs, and the (re)production of inequalities
Read the case study “Global financial funds, land grabs, and the (re)production of inequalities: a contribution from brazil” by Karina Kato and Fabrina Furtado, with Orlando Aleixo Junior and Jessica Siviero.
LA TIERRA ENTRE LA PALMA Y LAS FLORES
Read the case study “La tierra entre la palma y las flores: desigualdades y recomposiciones generacionales y de género en el municipio de María la Baja, Colombia” by Natalia Espinosa Rincón y Olga Elena Jaramillo Gómez.
land inequality webinar series
THE STATE OF LAND INEQUALITY IN THE WORLD: DATA AND MEASURING METHODOLOGIES
25 Novembre 2020En savoir plus