15 APRIL 2021 | 3-4.30 PM CEST
WITH SPANISH AND FRENCH TRANSLATION
The United Nations (UN) Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and Other People Working in Rural Areas (UNDROP) has been adopted in 2018. Our new manual The Right to Land and UNDROP is a guide on how we can use UNDROP to protect the right to land. This Learning Lab, co-organised by the Geneva Academy and the ILC, will provide ILC members and the broader land community with the basics of UNDROP, the right to land and its implementation.
JOIN "THE UN DECLARATION ON THE RIGHTS OF PEASANTS: A TOOL TO PROTECT THE RIGHT TO LAND"
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Main UNDROP’s elements relating to the right to land;
- What are states’ obligations under UNDROP;
- The role of human rights mechanisms in monitoring UNDROP and the right to land;
- Examples of good practices in using UNDROP at national level that can be replicated in other countries.
- Christophe Golay, Senior Research Fellow and Strategic Adviser on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ESCR) at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights: "A Guide on the right to land and UNDROP"
- Jagat Basnet, Executive Director, Community Self Reliance Center (CSRC), Nepal: "Fighting forced evictions and displacements and raising awareness about the right to land and UNDROP in Nepal"
- Emmerance Tuyishime, Programme Officer, pan-African Farmers’ Organisation: "Using UNDROP to protect farmers land rights in Africa"
- Hélène Tigroudja, Member of the UN Human Rights Committee: "The use of UNDROP by the UN Human Rights Committee to protect the right to land/home and how the Inter-American Court of Human Rights use the UNDROP recently"
- Michael Windfuhr, Member of the UN Committee on ESCR: "The work of the UN Committee on Economic Social and Cultural Rights, UNDROP and the Right to Land, with a focus on the elaboration of a General Comment on Land by the Committee"
- Liliana Vargas, Red Nacional de Agricultura Familiar (National Network of Family Farming – RENAF), Colombia: "Fighting for agrarian reform and the recognition of peasants as rights-holders in Colombia"
The Learning Lab will be moderated by Mike Taylor, Director, International Land Coalition.
- The Right to Land and UNDROP (Manual)
- The Right to Land and Other Natural Resources (Research brief)
- The Implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and Other People Working in Rural Areas (Research brief)
- The Role of Human Rights Mechanisms in Monitoring the UN Declaration on the Rights of Peasants (Research brief)
- Statement by UN human rights experts on the Occasion of the First Anniversary of the Adoption of the UNDROP – The Need to Take Steps to Implement the UNDROP (OHCHR website)
- Agricultural and Land Commercialisation: Do They Foster Gender Equality and the Right to Food? (Research brief)
- Indigenous Communities of the Lhaka Honhat (Our Land) Association vs. Argentina (ESCR Caselaw database)
- Portillo Cáceres and Others vs. Paraguay (ESCR Caselaw database)
- Geneva Academy Project on the Rights of Peasants
- Geneva Academy Training on UNDROP